A chemical peel is a treatment used to improve the look of the skin on the face, neck or hands. A chemical solution is applied to the skin that causes it to exfoliate and ultimately peel off. The new, regenerated skin is generally smoother and less wrinkled than the old skin. The new skin is also briefly much more sensitive to the sun. There are three basic kinds of chemical peels:
- Light peel: Alpha-hydroxy acid or another light acid is used to penetrate just the outer layer of skin to gently exfoliate it. The procedure is used to improve the look of mild skin discoloration and rough skin as well as to rejuvenate the face, neck, chest or hands.
- Medium peel: Glycolic or trichloroacetic acid is applied to penetrate the outer and middle layers of skin to remove damaged skin cells. The procedure is used to improve age spots, fine lines and wrinkles, freckles and moderate skin discoloration. It also can be used to smooth rough skin and treat some precancerous skin growths, i.e. actinic keratosis.
- Deep peel: Trichloroacetic acid or phenol is applied to deeply penetrate the middle layer of skin to get rid of damaged skin cells. The procedure removes moderate lines, age spots, freckles and shallow scars. Individuals will see a significant improvement in skin appearance. The procedure is used on the face and only can be performed once.
Why receive a chemical peel?
As we age, dead skin cells do not fall off as easily as when we are younger, causing the skin to appear dull. If you would like to reduce the wrinkles, sun damage, and blotchiness on your face and also give your skin a smoother, brighter, more youthful look, a chemical peel might be right for you.
A chemical peel is an excellent choice if you have any of the below problems:
- You have sun-damaged skin
- You have shallow face wrinkling
- Your skin tone is uneven with blotchiness, sunspots, and brown spots
- You have scars that have made the surface of your skin uneven
- You have certain precancerous skin growths
- You have acne scars
Below are some of the benefits of a chemical peel:
- Make the color of your skin more even
- Improve the texture of your skin
- Bring back a healthy, luminous, and radiant appearance.
- Look younger
- Receive lasting results when treating deep wrinkles with a deep chemical peel
- Improve your self-image and confidence
How you prepare
Before you have a chemical peel, your doctor will likely:
- Review your medical history: Be ready to answer questions relating to present and past medical issues and any drugs you are taking or have taken lately, in addition to any kind of cosmetic procedures you've had.
- Do a physical exam: Your doctor will check your skin and the area to be treated to determine what kind of peel you may benefit from most and how your physical features-- for example, the tone and thickness of your skin-- may impact your results.
- Go over your expectations: Talk with your doctor about your motives, expectations and potential risks. Make sure you understand the number of procedures you might need, how much time it'll take to recover and what your results might be.
For Chemical Peel Treatment in Franklin, Kentucky, give us a call at (270) 621-0078, and our expert staff will help you with any questions you have. Consultations are always pressure-free and NO CHARGE. Check out our other packages and services at PlatinumSculpt.com.